Monday, May 7, 2012

The Super Moon

I don't know why but for some reason the media really picked up on the full moon this month.  Because the full moon occurs when the moon is at perigee (its closest point to Earth) its called a 'super moon', but really its not that special.  This particular lunar configuration happens quite often and it would be really difficult to spot the 15% increase in size. I was quite interested in setting up my new telescope (an 11" SCT on a EQ6 mount) and testing it out.  Because I was just working the kinks out of the new setup I didn't really want to drag it all the way up the mountain so I chose a community league parking lot close to my house.  My plan was to take some shots of the moon and then try a Light Pollution Reducing filter and see how things in the city worked out.  Unfortunately I made a little mistake; I never labelled which filter was which in my filter wheel and ended up doing all the imaging through a narrowband OIII filter. Sadly, the result was not good.

The moon however turned out quite nicely!


No comments:

Post a Comment